Yesterday, my husband learned that his company will be laying off a large number of employees over the next few months. He is not particularly worried, but that is his nature and general personality. Mr. Cool and Calm. He is better than me when it comes to viewing life as a roller coaster with ups and downs. What do I do? Here are my general stages when receiving bad news:
- Tell myself that I am okay with the life change and try to convince myself that everything will work out.
- Stop the pretense and be honest about my emotions. This is where the stressing and freaking out happen.
- Have a mini-crying session usually in a bathtub wondering why my life can’t be perfect 100% of the time. (Actually, I skipped the tears this round)
- Open up excel and make a million spreadsheets for worst case scenarios and actions I could take.
- Take action and feel better.
Today, I decided to take actions. I spoke with my supervisor about working full-time in the future and she seemed supportive of this option. Currently I work part-time which allows me more time to spend with the kids. I love dropping them off to school and picking them up without having to worry about before or after care, but definitely am okay giving up this luxury if need be. I am already in the process of reducing expenses, but I plan on looking into all of our expenses for potential reduction. With our 3 month savings along with these other strategies, I think we will be okay in the short term.
What do you do when you receive bad news?