I have been trying to figure out how to come up with the extra $770 a month that I need. After May, I no longer have to pay $175 a month for my son’s full day kindergarten. That leaves me with $595 to find. I go back and forth about what to give up. If it was only a year or so, it would be easy. But I am asking myself, what would I want to give up for 5 years?! So, what could go?
- $25 a month for towards my Roth IRA. I really don’t want to give this up. If fact, I should be contributing more!
- $200 a month for the kids college savings. I also think it’s valuable to have this with the cost of education being where it is. However, without a mortgage payment in 5 years, I could add more at that point. College is 9 years away for my oldest.
- $30 gym membership. I don’t use it as much as I should, but for health reasons (high blood pressure) I feel like I should keep it.
- All of the kids activities: Monthly: $120 piano, $79 swimming lessons, $169 dyslexia tutoring, $245 taekwondo classes, $45 language lessons. Biannual: Soccer $130, Sunday school $105. Annual: Basketball $100, Girl Scouts $15. Definitely think this is the category to reduce, but they are only kids once!
- $95 house cleaning service. Don’t judge me! 🙂 This is definitely a luxury item, but is has brought me so much sanity throughout the years that I hate to see it go.
I’m curious what you would give up and why.